Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
This sleek monograph documents the design and construction of a new wing in one of the world’s finest museums.
Founded in 1870, Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts is not just an impressive museum — it is also housed in one of America’s most distinguished buildings. When it was time to add an extension to accommodate the museum’s holdings, Foster + Partners conceived of a brilliant strategy, one that reinforced the logic of the original Beaux-Arts footprint while adding a few neo-modernist twists such as the insertion of a freestanding glazed structure between the building’s two principal spaces. This »crystal spine« encloses an existing courtyard in a glass »jewel box«, which creates spaces for visitor orientation and a café and leads to the new Art of the Americas wing. This book provides a detailed history of the 120,000-square-foot project, from the museum’s founding to the triumphant unveiling of the new wing.
Norman Foster is the Founder and Chairman of Foster + Partners, one of the most respected international architectural practices. He was awarded the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 1999 and the Praemium Imperiale in 2002; and in 2009 he became the twenty-ninth laureate of the Prince of Asturias Award for Arts. He was granted a knightood in 1990 and was appointed to the Order of Merit in 1997.